Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Tao of Pooh

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Tao of Pooh! I grew up on Winnie The Pooh and his friends so I found that this metaphorical approach that Benjamin Hoff took worked in my favor as far as better understanding Taoism.  As I read The Tao of Pooh, I noticed that although it was an extremely easy read, it still caused my mind to think on a deeper level.  I say deeper level because it made me think about certain aspects of my life.  For instance, after reading about the Busy Backson , I started to question would I ever reach a point in my life where I’m truly content? Because I’m living in a society that encourages me to chase my dreams day after day and who knows how long before I obtain this? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but there are moments where the journey is simply hectic and stressful. I digress but simply put, for such an easy read The Tao of Pooh is definitely thought provoking. 

When Hoff defined and described the Busy Backson he definitely hit the American society on the nail.  Sad to say this is who we are as a society.  So caught up in the chaos of everyday life that some actually believe this is a norm; that it’s normal for life to be over the top and filled with endless To Do Lists.  Confession, I am one of those people.  When people say, “You’re always busy!” I automatically respond, “It’s a good thing because idleness is the Devil’s playground!”  I’ve come to terms with the everyday hustle and bustle that in my mind, it is a good thing to always be active and doing something. Well after reading this, I’m obviously questioning my theory but once again, I digress.

As far as Taoism being a possible solution to the problem of American culture and Americans as individuals, I would say that it’s a possibility.  I don’t want to say that it’s impossible but it would definitely be a challenge considering the mindset of our society as a whole.  Hard work is celebrated and well doing nothing, which could be termed laziness is frowned upon in American society.  It’s as simple as that.  With that said, the only way that I see Taoism being accepted by Americans is by changing everyone’s view and perception on life. This would be a great challenge in itself because it's hard for many to simply neglect what they've been taught to be right.

5 comments:

  1. It is true that this reading makes you second guess yourself, something that i do often which obviously is not right. But you often wonder is the stuff that keep you busy everyday worth doing because you always find yourself trying to find things to make you happy, at least I do. But when will you be content with the way life is just they way it is without stressing and hustling trying to make it through the day, when can you do what needs to be done then just simply enjoy your life. Thats often a question that people want to know and the obvious answer is easy to find except we make it harder to avoid the daily experiences of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect how you related the reading to yourself/the way you think. I think its really cool that you got something out of the book rather than just saw it as an assignment. I also agree that it would definitely be a challenge to use Taoism as a solution to the american culture. I felt that the only way that I could see the Americans utilizing the Taoism concepts would to maybe just try and slow down a bit, or realize that their worry/stress isn't worth it.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely about how this book was an easy read, but it really made you think. There were many times while reading this book when I had to stop and actually think about what I just read. When you mention about how being a Busy Backson, you might not ever be content. When I was writing about Busy Backsons in my blog, I think I had a different viewpoint, but reading your blog now, I think it might not be such a bad thing if you look at it this way: if you're never really satisfied, you never stop trying. You never stop trying to achieve your dreams, whether it's getting a good grade, getting a better job, or even something more personal such as mending a relationship. If you never stop trying, you won't give up. There are some people who achieve one thing, and they are happy stopping there. And then there are other people who keep on trying their best at everything they do in life.

    In terms of how everyone seems to be caught up in the chaos of everyday life, I feel that this is very true and that people need to take a step back and take a breather. When you get caught up in the chaos, you don't get a chance to think about what's really going on. You just go with the flow. At least for me, when I've been so busy with school, friends, etc., I didn't get a chance to think about what I was getting myself into and whether or not I should do things differently. I think it's good to be busy sometimes, but its also important to take some time and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your response! I also read your comment on my blog. I like that you pointed out America's "problem" is in the eye of the beholder. For some, a full day and hardwork is extremely fulfilling; I think this has as much to with culture as it does with an individuals personality. I suppose for the Taoist perspective, this is seen as a "problem", but for many of us, its what we find enjoyable, and makes us feel fulfilled

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that our society tells us to chase out dreams and plan the future. We tend to work really hard all our lives without relaxing until retirement. I can honestly say I am not really a Busy Backson I tend to relax a lot I don't worry about the future to much but I do have some sort of a plan like an outline nothing more. I cannot see letting things happen the natural way as a solution for our society. I don't think it is possible because it is how we were brought up.

    ReplyDelete