Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pop Culture Music & Hinduism Part I

Pleasure

Robin Thicke, "Sex Therapy," R&B, 2009
 TLC, "Red Light Special," R&B, 1994
Mad Cobra, "Flex," Reggae, 1992 
Janet Jackson, "Would You Mind," R&B, 2001
R.Kelly, "Your Body's Calling," R&B, 1994

Community Service

Bob Marley, "Redemption Song," Reggae, 1980
 Black Eyed Peas, "Where Is The Love," Pop, 2003
Slick Rick, "Hey Young World," Hip Hop, 1988
Nas, "I Can," Hip Hop, 2002
Jaheim, "Fabulous," R&B, 2003


Between Pleasure and Community Service, I found it quite easy to think of songs that relate to Pleasure! Community Service on the other hand was a bit of a challenge for me.  From the American Pop Culture point of view, when it comes to songs about enjoyment or sensual gratification, I found it hard to choose five because there are a billion gazillion of them on my iTunes playlist. Sad to say, I had to do some research outside of my iTunes playlist seeking more songs on Community Service. 

I personally am a sucker for love so coming up with songs related to Pleasure was a breeze in contrast to Community Service.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying music dealing with the acts of common good aren't important and or relevant to me, I just tend to gravitate towards music that deals with matters of the heart! Simply because I can barely pinpoint or make out why I feel the way I do when it comes to romance and the lyrics in love songs normally do.  I love that artist can express these emotions through songs.  I find myself relating to them and that reminds me that I’m normal! There are other people out there who feel the same exact way or have went through the same experience. It’s comforting.   

Oppositely, Community Service is something that is understood.  There’s no uncertainty about the common good or about doing what’s right. Plainly put, songs about Community Service aren't saying anything that we haven't heard before or are confused about.  They're are pretty straight forward.  As far as American Music relating to the Hindu understanding of Pleasure, I would have to say that the Hindu’s perception of Pleasure is on a deeper level.  For the most part American Music portrays Pleasure as either a relationship between a man and woman or candidly a sexual act.  
  
Hindu literature describes Pleasure as not only a sexual act or the relationship between a man and woman but also details the intellectual and mental fulfillment of the experience.  Meditation!  Although American Music tends to focus on our voluntary acts as Community Service, I would like to believe that like Hinduism the ultimate goal is to bring people together so I will go ahead and say that both viewpoints are pretty similar.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about the relate-ability thing. Just like you, I most often listen to love songs when I'm happy or feeling lovey dovey because I can relate to them. Our nation was pretty much founded on taking things we want, plus its human nature and we all have those types of desires. However, we don't all have the desire to help others or pick up trash off the road or feed the hungry. At least not all the time. The type of music I listen to often depends on my mood; and since people are always looking to have a good time and be happy, songs about pleasure and what makes them happy are probably always going to be dominant.

    ReplyDelete